Friday, June 4, 2010

Good America, Great America

"I sought the greatness of the United States in her commodious harbors, her ample rivers, her fertile fields, and boundless forests- and it was not there. I sought for it in her rich mines, her vast world commerce, her public school system, and in her institutions of higher learning- and it was not there. I looked for it in her democratic Congress and her matchless Constitution- and it was not there. Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because America is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great!"
-Alexis de Tocqueville

2 comments:

  1. When I found out you liked Alexis de Tocqueville, that was the moment I knew we were going to be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

    ReplyDelete