Thursday, June 24, 2010

Children need fathers

"Studies show that fathers have a special role to play in building a child's self-respect. They are important, too, in ways we really don't understand, in developing internal limits and controls in children...Research also shows that fathers are critical in establishment of gender in children. Interestingly, fatherly involvement produces stronger sexual identity and character in both boys and girls. It is well established that the masculinity of sons and the femininity of daughters are each greater when fathers are active in family life" (Karl Zinsmeister, "Do Children Need Fathers?" Crisis, Oct. 1992).

2 comments:

  1. Whoa. As a new dad, that's heavy. I didn't have a dad around a lot of the time, and I had to work through a lot of the tough issues on my own. Thanks for the reminder that I can be there for my daughter in ways my dad wasn't for me. (And I like the new design).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fathers are as important to children as mothers. Both provide vital roles. Its such a shame the legal system does not support this. I have started a blog today and am looking for support. All welcome. http://childrenneedfathers-cnf.blogspot.com/this.

    ReplyDelete