Friday, November 20, 2009

Be yourself

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

I owe a great amount of my personal happiness and success to listening to myself and then embracing the path onto which it guides me. The forces of socio-cultural influence bear down with incredible strength upon our will. But our internal compass may often require us to negotiate the tension we feel vis-a-vis our external system and choose against the demands of that context. A commitment to humility and truth will serve as dependable guides in this process.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post. I agree. The world in which you know - for we all know different worlds according to our own personal life context - is always trying to tell you to be one thing or another...and it can be hard to be yourself. Especially when you feel people won't like you as your real self.

    ReplyDelete